Parkes Observatory Friends of the Observer.
Every programme allocated time on the Telescope has an allocated "Friend". Briefly, the duties of the Friend are to:
- Contact the Principal Investigator for the programme approximately one week before the run begins to ascertain observer requirements and feedback information about the state of the Parkes system.
- Cooperate with local technical staff to provide the desired observing configuration.
- When the observers arrive at Parkes to ensure that they start taking good data as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Provide continuing support during the observing run, including helping fill in any relevant Fault & Feedback reports.
- Ensure that the observers fill in an Observers Report at the end of their run.